Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sealing and filing the spring break zip-lock bag

Hiking in East TN was an experience -- which is something I've been yearning for. Sometimes I read so much that my imagination aches for words to be reality, and although a book can take our minds to different places, there is something existentially profound about going there bodily.

Highlites of the week:
-- having out 5-person tent laden with sleeping bags caught up by a gale-force wind and blow across the campsite hitting a tree.
-- reciting The Raven while the wind and rain pillaged our tent.
-- reading Slaughter-House Five, The Road, and Richard II
-- enjoying the quiet of mountains

Grad school update:
I've now gotten acceptance/assistantship letters from OU and OSU. I have gotten rejection letters from FSU and UTenn. Purdue and Mizzou are left.

Mom's Chemo Update:
She has had chemo for the past couple weeks and is still doing fine. Apparently it can take a little while for the drugs to have their debilitating side effects. She hasn't lost her hair yet and is in good spirits.

"I have come to the highway home,
and lo, it is ended."
~Robert Frost

3 comments:

Joanna Benskin said...

Yay for hiking. And reality.

Hehe, and flying tents. It's a good thing there was a tree to catch it. When we (Jo's family) camp on a windy gravel bar or sandbar, there wouldn't be anything to stop the tent from traveling cross country or going in the river. We load the corners with rocks.

Ooh, "The Raven" on a stormy night sounds excellent.

And congrats on the grad schools. :)

Singing-Masters of My Soul said...

Ditto to all Joanna said; and excellent reading material for a trip. Richard II is one of my favs.

Anna said...

ahHA! *points an exaggerated finger of accusation in your general direction* I should have known, Nathaniel Shank....you WOULD be Beowulf, wouldn't you?!

...yeah this is Anna (Stilwell) btw and no, I do not know why I am purusing around people's blogs at some unholy hour of the night either. My only explaination is that it's the weekend and I don't have to get up early tomorrow/today.